I always feel a million times better when I eat breakfast, but I can’t seem to wake up in the morning before work with enough time to do so. I either end up skipping it, eating something too small, or eating something very unhealthy and/or expensive. So, I found this recipe for baked oatmeal. I made it one evening and now I have breakfast for the whole week. Yay!
2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup blueberries
1 banana, sliced
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Extra brown sugar and/or maple syrup for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease a baking pan or a few smaller oven safe bowls and place on a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar, baking power, cinnamon, salt, half the walnuts, half the strawberries and half the blueberries.
- In a different bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, honey and vanilla.
- Add the oatmeal to your baking dish(s) and arrange the remaining walnuts, strawberries and blueberries on top. Place your banana slices on top as well. Pour the milk mix over the oatmeal and fruit.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the milk mixture has set. You can sprinkle a little more brown sugar over the top and cook for another couple of minutes. You can also sprinkle some on right before serving or drizzle some maple syrup on top.